For our most recent vacation Adventure Dad and I tried something new, we decided to ditch the suitcases for much smaller backpacks. And it was Amazing! I will never go back.
It is incredibly freeing to carry everything you need on your back. You have your hands free and you get to walk like a normal person. Airports are a breeze.
Reasons to Travel Light
- It’s Cheaper: You don’t have to pay to check your bag or tip the hotel staff to bring up your luggage. Plus, you get to see the confused expressions when they ask where your luggage is and you point to your back…priceless.
- It’s Adventurous: You can be so much more spontaneous. You don’t have to worry about somewhere to store your luggage because you can just take it with you. You can take the stairs, public transport, a raft on the river, or whatever.
- You’ll Shop Smarter: Once you realize how amazing it is to travel light, you’ll start to look at your wardrobe differently. You’ll start to buy clothes that are more versatile and smaller to pack. And it will transform your day-to-day wardrobe too.
- You Feel More Secure: You get to ditch the feeling of paranoia when your luggage is out of sight because your passport, wallet, phone, etc. are always within reach.
- Simplicity Feels Great: It feels great to travel with only what you need. I don’t know how to explain it, but it just feels amazing to not be burdened by unnecessary belongings.
But what if I forget something? That’s always the worry but it’s usually not the reality. Pack for the majority. What are you going to be wearing/using daily? And then give yourself permission to purchase emergency items.
We spent 12 days going through Costa Rica with only a backpack. We went down rivers, played on the beach, hiked through the jungle, and made it through weather as diverse as a freezing rainstorm in the cloud forest to the intense heat on the coast. And we didn’t have to buy any emergency item, we had it all covered.
So for your next vacation be a little adventurous and try something new. Only take a backpack. You won’t regret it.
As always, if you found this article beneficial or interesting, pass it on to your family and friends. Help us make The Family cool again.